Audio device is disabled – not fixed error

I’ve just spent a few hours trying to get a plantronics headset working on Windows 7. I’ve actually given up with that, but since doing so, my sound card completely stopped working with an error suggesting it could not find anything plugged into it. When running the windows diags, it told me – Audio device is disabled. Not fixed.

Wow this brought back some memories. I remember getting this problem on the old windows machines we had here at work. I believe we have some very restrictive registry policies set on our DC, causing all sorts of problems. I guess I’ll have to look at resetting the main group policy.

I eventually found a fix, which was to run the following from a command prompt (as administrator) –


net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
press enter and restart your computer

I hope it helps you, as it did me!

Now, to figure out why it happened in the first place and reset that old GPO!

FreeBSD 10 source tree missing /usr/src/

I recently installed FreeBSD 10, as I broke my server by trying to install a 32bit ESET av, which is actually all they provide for FreeBSD. Anyway, I couldn’t see anything in the source /usr/src/ so I tried to install it using sysinstall.

# sysinstall
bash: sysinstall: command not found

sysinstall for FreeBSD 10 has been replaced by bsdinstall now, but looking at that it only provides facility to partition. After some reading I found this thread –

I also read this –

You need to install subversion first –

# cd /usr/ports/devel/subversion

# make install clean

Once you have this installed, you can do a checkout, but you need to find the version of FreeBSD first –


# uname -a

FreeBSD mymailfilter.richsphere.local 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789: Thu Jan 16 22:34:59 UTC 2014  amd64

Check here for the link –

Mine would be

So I ran this – svn checkout /usr/src/

You will need to accept the security certificate on first go.

In my case I needed this to compile sendmail with ssl support, which is a post I created some time ago. You’re welcome to read that, if you need, here —


Thanks for reading!